7.16.2015

THE BIBLE CHANGES LIVES



HOW THE BIBLE CHANGED MY LIFE:

A friend of mine had parents who were Jehovah's Witnesses.  They invited me to their congregation meetings, and I accepted.  From the very start, I could see how different the Witnesses were. Everyone had a Bible and use it during the meeting. Young people even gave talks on the program!  I was impressed to learn that God has a name, Jehovah, and to hear it used.  (Psalm 83:18) The congregation  was made up of  many nationalities, but it was obvious that there were no racial  divisions. 

Initially, I did not want to study the Bible with the Witnesses, but I liked going to their meetings.  One night, while I was at a meeting of the Witnesses,  a group of my friends went to a concert.  There, they beat  a teenager to death because he would not give up his leather jacket. The next day, they bragged about the murder.  They even laughed off their crime when being tried in court. Most of them were sentenced  to life in prison. Needless to say, I was very glad that I had not been with them that night.  I resolved to change my life and start studying the Bible.  

Having been exposed to such much racial prejudice, I saw things among the Witnesses that astounded me.  For example, when a white Witness had to travel abroad, he left his children in the care of a black family. Also, a white family took into their home a black youth who needed a place to live.  I became convinced that Jehovah's Witnesses fit the words of Jesus recorded at John 13:35:  "By this all will  know that you are my disciples-if you have love among yourselves."  I knew I had found a true brotherhood.

From studying the Bible, I began to realize that I needed to change  my thinking.  I had to make my mind over so that I not only acted peaceably  but also saw this as the best way of life.  (Romans 12:2) Gradually, I made progress. In January 1974, I was baptized as one of Jehovah's Witnesses. 

Next time: Continue with: THE BIBLE CHANGES LIVES - HOW THE BIBLE CHANGED MY LIFE

From the Watchtower magazine, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.