7.08.2015

How I Changed My Violent Ways


In Search of Adventure

Back at home, I took up boxing and wrestling.  Success at these violent sports made me feel that I was somebody, but my physical prowess encouraged me to use brute force to get my way, just as my father had.

When I was 19, however, something happened to bring some tenderness into my life.  I met Encarnita, who nine months later became my wife. She saw only my courteous, kind and happy exterior.  She had no idea of the hurt that was simmering inside me.  This inner bitterness soon manifested itself when I was called up for military service not long after our first child was born. 

Partly to avoid a military-style haircut and partly to seek a life of adventure, I impulsively volunteered for the Spanish Foreign Legion.  I had visions of finding freedom in the Moroccan desert and participating in daring special operations. Besides, this seemed to offer a way to escape from my family responsibilities. In the end, though, it just brought out the worse in me.  

I soon got into trouble with a huge, brutish sergeant who took delight in mistreating new recruits. I hated injustice, and I was not averse to fighting for what I thought was right. During the roll call one morning, I made a joke that the sergeant  misinterpreted.  When he raised his arm to strike me, I quickly twisted it and wrestled  him to the floor. I kept his hand pinned to the ground, fearing that if I let go he would use his pistol to shoot me. 

That incident led to three months in a punishment platoon. I found myself living in a small bare room with about 30 men. During the entire time, I could not even change my clothes. Our platoon had a sadistic sergeant delight in whipping the men. But on one occasion when I threatened to kill him if he touched me, he reduced my punishment from 30 lashes to 3. I had learned to become as tough as my tormentors.  

Next time: How I Changed My Violent Ways - Undercover Mission

From the AWAKE! magazine, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your commment. Your comment will be reviewed for approval soon.

God Bless.